For the longest time, if you weren’t eating white meat chicken, there was something wrong with you. I remember thinking people were crazy because drumsticks were so insanely delicious and very versatile. As long as you fully cook the chicken, the key is a good sauce or recipe to truly make it into a meal. I absolutely love making recipes using thighs, breasts and wings along with these drumsticks. You could say that I am an equal opportunity chicken lover. We hope that you love this Braised Chicken Drumsticks Recipe as much as we do.
- Braised drumsticks
- 2 pounds quality chicken drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 large winter radish (or if not using, add in more pepper)
- zest from half a lemon
- dash of paprika
- ¼ cup smoky barbeque sauce
- 1.5 cups chicken stock (we used homemade that was still a little bit frozen, that is what looks a pinch
- slushy in the third image-but store bought definitely works)
- Coat the drumsticks with the salt, pepper, zest and paprika then place in the Dutch oven and chill for a few hours. Allow the Dutch oven to come back to room temp before heating it up-or chill the chicken in a separate dish/bag.
- Wash the winter radish and slice into ¼ inch thick rounds, set into the dish around the chicken.
- Add the liquid to the Dutch oven and give a quick mix.
- Cook on low for about 1.5 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- At this point, carefully remove the chicken and place on a tin foil lined tray.
- Leave the liquid in the Dutch oven and turn the heat up to high, reduce the liquid by at least half then pour over the drumsticks. Broil for just a couple minutes to crisp up the outsides.
NOTE: This was a great dinner but could also be a fantastic appetizer.
If you need to buy chicken, consider Zaycon Fresh where you can use promo code NEW22 to save 22% off your FIRST order or use promo code FIRST25 to save $25 off your FIRST order of $99.