Instant Pot Spanish Rice
This recipe for Spanish Rice is an original, that came from my Grandmother years ago, and is a family favorite. It’s a little spicy, and a little sweet, and its full of healthy delicious ingredients that are sure to make dinner something to look forward to. It’s easy to make, and the Instant Pot makes it come together quickly so you can have a wonderful meal ready in no time. Make sure to put this one in your favorites! We hope that you love this Instant Pot Spanish Rice recipe.
- 2 pounds of ground chuck
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large sweet onion – chopped
- 1 green pepper – diced
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup Heinz Ketchup
- 1 small can tomato paste – 6 ounce
- 1 cup water
- 1 small can tomato sauce (6 – 8 ounce)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- coarse ground garlic salt
- seasoned salt
- seasoned pepper
- 2 packages of Success Rice
TIP: Don’t substitute diced tomatoes for the stewed tomatoes; stewed tomatoes are prepared with onion/pepper/celery and seasonings, and give them a wonderful flavor; slicing them in the can is easy, and there’s no mess to clean up.
TIP: Cooking the Spanish Rice in the Instant Pot saves about 2 hours of simmering time, and really infuses the flavors.
- Chop the onion and green pepper.
- Turn on the SAUTE setting on your INSTANT POT, and melt the butter. When butter is melted, add the onion and green pepper, and Saute until golden brown, or caramelized. Remove the Sauteed onion and pepper from the instant pot, and set aside.
- Place the ground chuck in the INSTANT POT and cook the meat until it’s browned well, and no pink is visible. Turn off the SAUTE setting.
- Place several paper towels on a cookie sheet, and turn the browned ground chuck out onto the paper towels to remove any fat. Clean the fat from the Instant Pot with additional paper towels.
- Place the ground chuck back in the Instant Pot, along with the sauteed onion and peppers, and sprinkle with the garlic salt, seasoned salt, and seasoned pepper, and stir. Open the cans of stewed tomatoes, and pour the liquid in the Instant Pot, leaving the tomatoes in the cans. Take a large sharp knife, and slice the tomatoes right in the can into bite size pieces, and pour them in the Instant Pot. (Pour a little water in the cans to get the seasonings in the bottom, and add it to the Instant Pot)
- Add the Ketchup, tomato paste, water, tomato sauce, chili powder, Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, and brown sugar, and stir well to combine. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, until it beeps and locks. Press the manual setting, and set the time for 10 minutes.
- While the Meat mixture is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil (on the stove), and cook the Success Rice for 10 minutes. When the Rice is done, drain well, and set aside. When the Instant Pot is done cooking, it will beep; watch the time, and after 5 minutes, do a quick release, and when all the pressure has been released, and the float valve is down, open the lid to the Instant Pot.
- Stir the Meat and tomatoes, and then add the Rice. Stir the Rice into the meat, just until it’s mixed – do not continue to stir, or it will thicken the Spanish Rice.
- Taste the Spanish Rice to make sure it has enough salt, or pepper according to your own personal preference.
- Serve the Spanish Rice with toasted garlic bread, Tortilla chips, side salad or green beans – or your favorite side dish. Enjoy!
We hope that you are inspired by this Instant Pot Spanish Rice. Happy cooking!
Get your own Instant Pot here.
More Instant Pot recipes: