This is one of the best uses of chicken or leftover chicken. Everyone in my family loves chicken and it is always our go to when meal planning for the week. The kids are just as involved in our meal planning and chicken is their favorite as well. Plan to follow our classic Instant Pot Whole Chicken recipe here to cook the chicken and then the steps below for the turnovers. We hope that you love our Instant Pot chicken turnovers recipe.
- a 3 pound whole chicken, all natural and organic if available
- 4-6 carrots
- 1 medium-large onion
- a few cloves of garlic
- fresh thyme the more the merrier
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 to 8 ounces of cream cheese or similar alternative spread (to your preference)
- 2 boxes of your favorite pre made pie crust (so 4 rolled dough pieces total)
- Cook the chicken and vegetables according to our post here.
- When the chicken is completely done and has cooled enough to handle, remove from the bones and place in your stand mixer along with as many onions as you can scoop out, a few tender carrots and the cream cheese. Turn the mixer to medium speed to quickly shred the chicken and combine the ingredients.
- Pre head the oven to 375 degrees and roll out the pie crust. We used a 3.5 inch cookie cutter to make tops and bottoms for the turnovers. Put some of the chicken filling into the center of half of the circles and, top with a second piece of dough. Press the edges closed with a fork, poke a few holes in the top to release steam. Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes. The final cook time will completely depend on the size of your turn overs and temperature of your oven so keep a close eye on the first batch to know how long to set the timer for on the remaining trays.
- These are fantastic out of the oven or can be wrapped in tinfoil and will freeze incredibly well and make for a perfect last minute lunch option! We tend to make larger batches to make sure we have some on hand. We hope that you loved our Instant Pot chicken turnovers recipe.