Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Braid
Breakfast is my wife’s most favorite meal. She loves everything about breakfast and can pretty have it any time of day. We hope that you enjoy this Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Braid.
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed enough to be workable without breaking apart
- dash of pure maple syrup for the top (optional)
- 4 large organic eggs
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- about 4 sausage links, cooked (we used A
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Start by beating and cooking the eggs, add in the cooked sausage and cheese at the end of cooking the eggs. You may want to slightly under cook the eggs vs slightly over cook them just to make sure they aren’t too dry after baking.
- Prepare the pastry sheet by laying out on parchment paper and unfolding. Use a knife to cut slits in the sheet on each side of the center, do not cut away from the center, see photos.
- Place the cooked egg scramble into the center uncut portion. Start at the top and fold one side over the egg then fold the other side over that first one. Go back and forth until you are down at the bottom, tuck in the bottom two pieces into the rest of the layers (again, see photos for technique).
- If you would like, drizzle a little pure maple syrup over the top of the finished braid. It adds a great flavor but my kids don’t like it. Adults love it.
- Place in the oven at 400 degrees and immediately reduce the heat down to 350 degrees. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until the puff pastry has really puffed up all the way around.
- Around the 18 minute mark I covered it with tin foil to make sure it wouldn’t brown too much. As tempting as it may be once it starts to look golden on top, it will definitely be worth waiting for the pastry to bake all the way through. Let cool for a few minutes before cutting into and enjoying.
We hope that you are inspired by this Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Braid post. Happy cooking!