Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
As the weather gets a little cooler, I start making soups. There is something so universally soul warming about a good bowl of soup, isn’t there? This Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe is one of the best we’ve tried and we keep getting requests to make this soup for friends.
I always make a double batch of this soup along with some homemade Irish Soda Bread. I freeze half in individual portions so they are in our freezer and available to everyone.
- 1/2 chopped Onion
- 1/4 cup melted Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cup Half and Half
- 2 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 large bunches Broccoli
- 2 Carrots
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 8 oz shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut carrots into small strips.
- Break apart broccoli florets into small pieces.
- Saute Onion in 1 tbsp of melted butter until transparent.
- Make a roux using remainder of melted butter and flour. Cook about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in half and half stirring constantly.
- Add in chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add vegetables and cook for 25 minutes over low heat.
- If you want a smooth soup, at this point puree in a blender and return to heat or use immersion blender.
- Add cheese and nutmeg.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.